Here is what I like about Ally Bank so far:
1. They inform you when your paper check bill payment is going to post. I have never seen a bank do this. Other banks will either post the check before the deliver by date or a week or more afterwards to draw confusion and / or NSF fee's.
2. You can edit your account names
3. Free checks
4. No minimum balance / deposit requirements.
5. Clean online user interface.
6. They have a calendar in the online banking. (This comes in handy for a "macro" view on your bill payments.")
7. 24 hour rep's available
8. The mobile app works well.
9. Check deposits work well.
10. I don't have to choose "English" every time I call them or use their ATM.
1. No way to deposit cash.
I don't understand all the hate against Ally Bank in previous reviews. I have had a checking account with Ally since 2011, after my local bank screwed me on overdraft fees, and have been very satisfied since. Signing up is painless, much less than what I have experienced at other online-only banks, and their website is very easy to use. In 2012 all of my debit card transactions were suddenly being declined and upon calling Ally it turned out my card number had been stolen so they froze my debit card. I wish they had notified me, but getting a new card was easy and I was not responsible for the fraudulent charge. I have only incurred one overdraft fee of $9 since banking with Ally and it was due to my own negligence. If you're tired of old-fashioned banking and their fees I highly recommend Ally Bank.
Ally bank account creating was very simple. Talked to Customer service via chat and they answered all my question quickly and professionally.
Mobile app is very well laid out and easy to read as well as understand.
I believe some of the negative reviews are self inflicted and would have happened with any bank (in my opinion). I haven't been inside a bank in over 4 years, now I can deposit any checks from my desk at home, this is a no brainier.