I opened savings and cd accounts at Discover online in 2009 and it was neither quick nor simple; it took a while for my funds to be deposited, my online access to be established, etc. And last year, transferring funds between Discover and my other banks was a major pain. However, they have been slowly improving their online banking. It is now much easier to transfer funds, although Discover seems to take about a day longer than ING does. And it was trivial, when my cd matured, to deposit those funds into savings instead of having the cd renew automatically. The Discover cd rates are currently significantly higher than ING, so now that things seem to be working smoothly I am transferring the bulk of my savings from ING to Discover. I'm thinking of transferring my IRA over as well.
First: complaining here doesn't help. File a complaint with the FDIC at: https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp
Second: to the person that keeps posting about Discover Card, this site is in relation to Discover Bank, not Discover Card; two separate entities.
Began the account in November with their Cashback Checking. Was induced due to BoA now charging me $25 mth in fees. Figured the $50 Discover Bank gave me to open the account then the cashback each transaction was worth it. Boy I was wrong.
I've had nothing but trouble with them. I've spent well over three hours, yes, three hours on the phone with customer service about their Funds Availability. Filed a complaint with the FDIC, as one of my deposits was incorrectly deposited on a different day. Discover Bank hides behind their "mobile deposits are not subject to the Funds Availability Act"; however, did admit the deposit was incorrectly deposited on a different day.
When I began the account, the rep said that there were hold times, however after 6 months those hold times would not apply. Now, however, Discover Bank is saying that not to be the case and is further saying that mobile deposits can be made available "at their discretion earlier". At their discretion. Wow, way to hose your customers.
There is a reason Bank of America charges a fee. In the near seven years I've had them as a bank I've spent maybe 20 minutes on the phone - IN SEVEN YEARS. In four months I've spent well over three HOURS on the phone with Discover Bank. They are the most awful customer service. Never call you back - unless you file a complaint with the FDIC then they call you back all the time.
I'm so disappointed in them. Now Discover CARD is completely different. Awesome cust service and never any complaints. Maybe their Bank should take a cue from the Card side.
Also, when making a transaction, the Bank side of the account only updates 3 or 4 times a day; unlike the Card side.
You'll do well to avoid
To start with I opened account due to $50 account opening bonus and thought what could be wrong with it.
Here what happened with Discover -
- One fine day I got call from my son school that check I issued returned due to some reason. That time school was not sure why, said need to wait till actual returned check comes back in mail.
- I called discover, asking why you returned my check. Customer agent said it never came for clearing, Did three way conference with school bank manager and school account holder. Customer agent said I have more than enough balance, and see no problem why it won;t clear. This was confirmed with two different calls to customer service and one time even supervisor was also get involved as agent said supervisor have access to more system.
- Once school received legal returned check. Reason confirm stopped payment which I never did from my side.
- I gave another call to customer service, Agent said I put in stop payment. I said I never did, He said let me check with supervisor. He said I did some time back in Feb-14 some stop payment. Today is June-2014.
- Here is what happened in Feb-2014, I did online bill pay for one of my monthly expense but during initial setup, I entered wrong address (instead of entering payee address I entered mine so check came to my address). I called customer service, she suggested to cancel check and setup bill pay again. Which I did and worked fine.
- Now customer service saying during cancel check process Agent might have made some mistake. She is not telling what exactly happened, But now I have stop payment on all of my checks. Just to keep in mind between Feb and June I issued checks and those got cleared perfectly fine. So I don;t believe story of agent made some mistake during cancel check, It that was the case then why it took 4 month for that stop payment came into effect.
- I asked for $35 charge back as return check charge, They need school bank account statement as proof why?