Having lived in the area now for 14 years or so and having had experience of several banks, either through payroll needs or mortgages or such, I'd have to say TD Bank is the best of the bunch.
I've tried Wilmington Trust - OK, B of A - really terrible, Wachovia - Horrible, Citizens - Pretty Bad, First Federal - OK, but TD has been really great.
First, most of the complaints I read here are about debit charges for being overdrawn, that's the same at every bank. My son went over $800 overdrawn while banking at Citizens while at college - for buying a Starbucks on his debit card. They then started charging him $37 day for the O/D, even when it was paid off, they came up with retrospective charges that put him overdrawn again and started the whole process over. You can fix your debit card so it can't go O/D now (thanks to the government) and at least TD only charge $15...
My branch is very cheery and friendly. The dog loves to visit and there are always little gifts for the kids as well as the free money counter for customers.
No bank reminds me of the old, personal face-to-face service you used to get and decisions are now made in a central office many miles away, but at least the staff are friendly, the bank is open and bring and everyone seems very helpful.
I went in to talk to customer service. I was the only one in there. The customer service rep was on the phone having a personal conversation in spanish. I waited for 10 minutes as she saw me sitting there. I walked out. Horrible customer service
I loathe TD Bank for what they did to my Commerce. I have had nothing but issues ever since they have taken over . Let's list some reasons why TD Bank is awful, shall we?
- It takes them 5 days to clear money or a check issued from themselves. If you overdraw while your money is mysteriously hanging in limbo -FEES GALORE!
- They decided to randomly charge an overdraft fee on each transaction, and NOT tell their customers. I asked the incredibly rude CSR about this and she said that has always been the policy and she had no idea what I was talking about. That was definitely a lie.
- The customer service makes me want to commit defenestration.
- While out of town, I managed to accrue over $300 in fees in one day. This was because of the bank's error, but they would only credit me back $70. They called this a "courtesy". Oh thanks TD Bank.. you're the greatest.
- It almost seems like they intentionally structure the order in which your transactions clear so they maximize profits. Sounds crazy but I never, ever had any of these problems with Commerce.
The Devil's Bank is full of so much blatant carelessness and crooked policies, I really can't believe anyone still banks there. I'm closing my account today.