For many people, choosing a bank is usually based on how close a branch is located to their home and place of work. With the growth of online banking and the recent surge of rewards checking, an increasing number of banks without a lot of ATMs have begun trying to compete by reimbursing ATM surcharges.
Beyond savings hundreds of dollars a year on ATM fees, this perk allows consumers to use whatever ATM they want without searching for their bank. More specifically, some banks waive all ATM surcharges or reimburse charges by a third party ATM owner.
Here are a few of the bank accounts MyBankTracker.com tracks that offer ATM reimbursements:
Banks offering unlimited reimbursement – Checking Accounts:
- Ally – Interest Checking
- Charles Schwab Bank – High Yield Investor Checking
- ETRADE – MaxRate Checking: requires $200 monthly direct deposit
- PNC Bank – All checking accounts: requires $2,000 balance
- TD Bank – Simply Free Checking: requires $2,500 balance
- ING DIRECT — Electric Orange
Banks offering reimbursement with restrictions – Checking Accounts:
- Amegy Bank — MyLife Checking: Six rebates/month
- Bank Direct — All checking accounts: $10/month, max four transactions, $0.25 per transaction, requires $2,500 blance
- Bank of Internet — Checking USA: $8/month, requires $5,000 average balance
- EverBank — FreeNet Checking: $6/month
- KeyBank – Advantage Money Market: $12/month
- M&T Bank – Power Checking: 15/month, $2 max per rebate, requires $50,000 balance
- First Internet Bank – Interest Checking: $6/month
Banks offering reimbursement with restrictions – Savings & Money Market Accounts:
- Ally – Money Market Account: $6/month
- First Internet Bank – Money Market Savings: $6/month
- HSBC Advance – Online Savings: max three transactions/month
- MetLife Bank – Money Market: $5/month, requires $1,500 balance
Latest posts by Simon Zhen (see all)
- Thanksgiving Day: Are Banks Open? - November 24, 2015
- Rewards Checking Makes the Biggest Comeback Since 2008 - October 27, 2015
- Survey: Student Debtors Willing to Give Up Organs, Possessions for Relief - October 23, 2015
Find the best bank account for you now.
See how much you can save in just a few steps.