ATM Thefts Takes the Spotlight: 5 Things to Know for the Week

Simon Zhen

By , Staff Writer
Posted on Mon May 28, 2012, Last Updated on Mon Jul 14, 2014

More Columns »

Acknowledging that money is money (whether it is from a bank teller or the ATM), criminals target standalone ATMs in a less-than-stealthy manner — yanking them from their bolts and chains. The FBI sees it as a growing problem but doesn’t have a grasp on how rampant these types of thefts may be.

• Citibank released an update to its mobile banking application for Apple iOS devices to improve the performance of Popmoney, its person-to-person transfer service, and mobile check deposit. In the previous version, many customers encountered problems having the feature accepting check images.
  • Last week, the Senate rejected the a proposed bill that would keep interest rates on Stafford student loans at 3.4 percent. Without the bill, more than 7.4 million student-loan borrowers will face a 6.8 percent interest rate starting on July 1, a little more than a month away. The Senate returns from its Memorial Day weekend break on Tuesday — lawmakers may still be able to avert the rate hike.
  • It has been one year since the launch of Google Wallet, the mobile wallet project from the world’s most popular search engine. On a mission to initiate the card-less future, Google Wallet enables payment transactions from just a smartphone. MyBankTracker gives a look at Google Wallet’s progress in the past year.
  • Robbing an ATM may be a better way to “get rich quick,” which is why the FBI is showing greater concern over ATM thefts — not the card-skimming type, but stealing the actual ATM altogether. If successful, the haul may not be too lucrative for the thief (or thieves), but that doesn’t stop them from trying. The FBI does not track statistics of stolen ATMs.
  • Tax season is over and many taxpayer prefer to just stick all the paperwork in the filing cabinet and forget about it. However, the IRS does offer some guidance as to how to handle the documents that came from filing tax returns. In addition to knowing which documents to keep or toss, the IRS describes the proper way to destroy documents that contain sensitive personal information.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our Newsletters