Forbes recently released its 28th annual ranking of the world’s billionaires. This list of the wealthiest people in the world revealed that there are a total of 1,645 billionaires. According to the list, Bill Gates has regained his position as the wealthiest man in the world.
It appears Bill was hard at work last year. His net worth is now at $76 billion, which is a big jump from last year when it was a mere $67 million. Despite being known around the world as the richest man, he has not been at the top of the list in the past four years. Even so, he still has ranked at the top for 15 out of the last 20 years. Last year he was second in the world, just behind the telecom billionaire, Carlos Slim Helu.
Where do the top 10 wealthiest people in the world rank? Get a glimpse of the richest people and the sources of their wealth.
- Bill Gates: The co-founder of Microsoft finds himself back at the number one spot again. He started his fortune with the rise of Microsoft, then expanded his wealth through investments. He is now also known as a philanthropist, donating money to a variety of charities and scientific studies through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. As noted earlier, his net worth is now at $76 billion.
- Carlos Slim Helu: The only person on the top 10 list to lose money, Carlos Slim Helu is a business investor from Mexico. He is most well-known for being the chief executive and chairman at Telemex and America Movil, two telecommunication companies. He lost one billion dollars last year, and is estimated to be worth about $72 billion.
- Amancio Ortega: Founder and chairman of the Inditex fashion group, Amancio Ortega is most famous for his Zara clothing chain. Right now his total net worth is $57 billion.
- Warren Buffet: The legendary Mr. Buffet still manages to increase his wealth, even at the age of 83. He is widely considered to be the most successful as well as the smartest investor in the 20th century. In 2008 he was ranked as the richest man in the world, but has since fallen to the number four spot, which is still not bad considering his age. Today his net worth is at about $58.2 billion.
- Larry Ellison: Larry Ellison makes the list at number five with a net worth of $48 billion. Right now Ellison generates most of his earnings through the Oracle Corporation, where he is currently the chief executive officer.
- Charles Koch: As co-owner, chief executive officer and chairman of the board at Koch Industries, Charles Koch leads the investment, trading and manufacturing of the subsidiaries owned by his company. He also owns and conducts business operations with his brother, David H. Koch. The brothers actually inherited the business from their father, and grew and expanded it 2,600 times since inheriting it. Charles Koch’s net worth is at around $40 billion.
- David Koch: Along with his brother Charles, David helped grow and expand their father’s business. Now David’s net worth is at about $40 billion.
- Sheldon Adelson: Owner of the Israeli daily newspaper, Israel Today, and chief executive officer of the Las Vegas Sands corporation, Sheldon Adelson has a net worth of $38 billion. He makes Forbes’ list at number eight.
- Christy Walton: The wealthiest woman in the world ranks in at number nine. Christy Walton is the widow of John T. Walton, who was a son of Walmart founder, Sam Walton. When her husband passed away in 2005, she inherited his $18.2 billion fortune. She has since more than doubled that wealth, and is estimated to be worth $36.7 billion. Christy has been the richest woman in the world for the past seven years, and continues to grow her net worth every year.
- Jim Walton: Jim Walton is the youngest son of Sam Walton, the founder of Walmart. After his brother John’s death, Jim replaced him as a member on the board of directors of the company. He oversees the strategic planning and finance committees of the company, as well as being the CEO of Arvest Bank. Jim net worth is currently at $34.7 billion.
Mark Zuckerberg: A notable mention not yet in the top 10 billionaires is Mark Zuckerberg. The creator of Facebook is currently ranked number 21 on the list of wealthiest people in the world, but it’s worth noting he was able to significantly increase his fortune this year. Currently, Zuckerberg’s net worth is at $28.5 billion, up from $13.3 billion, an increase of $15.2 billion, which is one of the biggest gains among billionaires since last year. Expect Zuckerberg to work his way to the top 10 and remain there within the next five years or so.
Fun Fact: According to the list released from Forbes, the top 10 billionaires in the world have a combined net worth of $507.6 billion.