For a large bank, PNC has made me feel like an important customer even though I don't have much money. I give them 5 stars because they exceed my expectations. If I had lots of money, though, I would be disappointed that they sometimes make mistakes.
I have the free consumer checking account.
* Friendly and prompt service, easily reached on the phone, online, and in person
* Excellent online banking app that is constantly in development
* Online bill payment: they will cut checks to arbitrary payees and mail them for you. The whole process takes 4 maybe 5 days. I save money on stamps and never have to order checks.
* They sometimes make mistakes: When they sent me a replacement check card, they said the PIN would remain the same. Well it wasn't the same and it wasn't until 2 days after it arrived that the new PIN arrived in a separate letter. Also, they incorrectly stated that a particular ATM of theirs accepted deposits.
I've been a customer with PNC for about 4 years. For checking and savings there really isn't anything that makes PNC stand out when compared to other "free" checking providers. If you have problems going to a branch usually resolves them and the staff are very friendly. I would expect this from any bank though so I don't really consider it a plus.
There are two annoyances I have had with PNC.
1) Their virtual wallet (Online Banking) is slow and clumsy. They parade this interface around like it is some divine creation, but it is far from that. It uses Flash so it won't work on many hand held devices and works terribly on many computers. Even with a fast computer you still have to wait 20 seconds for the thing to load up after loading the page. All I want to do is see my balance and transactions--I don't need a fancy animated interface!
2) Their ACH policies are ridiculous. This issue might just be with me but be warned. I receive ACH (online money transfer) from my father once a month for college expenses. We both bank at PNC and have opened accounts at the SAME branch. An AUTO-ACH from his account to mine takes up to FIVE BUSINESS DAYS! Keep in mind this is WITHIN THE SAME BANK BETWEEN 2 PEOPLE WITH THE SAME LAST NAMES! And this happens every time. For the uninformed most ACH transfers (even between different banks) take 3 days. Now what is the big deal? Well if your transfer period of 5 days hits a weekend (non-business) then you have just added another 2 days of waiting! This might not be a big deal for many customers but it certainly affects me.
PNC is the worst bank our there! They love to steal your money and take away your access to YOUR money without notifying you of it. I used to be a National City customer and was happy with them, but as soon as they made the transition, PNC went away with the quality customer service and understanding that comes with a normal bank. If you are looking for a bank to open up an account with, go elsewhere.. anywhere, if you have a PNC account, close it tomorrow and save yourself. PNC is a thief of your money and should be shutdown for unlawful operations. The only reason I am giving them 1 star is because I cannot give them a 0 or a -5, which i what they really deserve.
|Non-Sufficient Fund (Overdraft)||$36||$30|
|Stop Payment item||$33||$27|
|Domestic Wire Transfer (Outbound)||$25||$22|
|Domestic Wire Transfer (Inbound)||$15||$9|
3% of transaction- international