Definitely not a place if you are looking for real advise on financial matters. Representative do not have the knowledge beyond the basics. Experience, knowledge, and customer service does not seem to be high on the list when hiring candidates. It seems that personality is the only trait HR looks for when hiring individuals. However, pure personality does not take you far enough. Definitely do not recommend BOI.
Attempted to open a rewards checking account. Went through the standard online application and was told I would receive back confirmation in 4-5 hours. After no word back in two days I called and was told I needed to mail my drivers licence (note not a copy of my licence) to an address in San Diego. After some very un-helpful back and forth with an offshore customer service rep I gave up. Total let down, avoid!
While the interest rates may be marginally higher & fees and charges marginally lower, the stellar customer service I had 10 years ago is gone. Now, every complaint submitted automatically gets a "resolved" & I have to resubmit multiple times -- some have still not been addressed. My issues include:
- my account was accessed by someone from Intuit as I received an email with Intuit.com. I did not authorize any non-bank personnel to do anything to my account at the time. When I reported it, I was told they were "fixing the issue with text messages" (see below) but the issue isn't fixed
- the Intuit software driving the online system is terrible
- they've brought in more 3rd parties that receive my data (e.g. the service that prepares the statements for them) - clearly they don't care about my privacy
- they do not actually "register" my computer and I have to do this every time
- although there is a button, I no longer get text messages and have to use the "call me" to register my computer
- you cannot send money to "anyone" as stated ... "anyone" must be in the US (how arrogant is that!)
- my debit card does not work in ATM terminals overseas, even if the network supported is on the card and ATM - apparently overseas ATMs expect a chip on the card which BofI has not supplied and they are unable to tell me when they will do this
- I snapped a clear deposit photo 4x today with my Galaxy 3, following their advice, but it wasn't accepted
- the automatic scanning feature stopped working for me a while ago and I have to scan manually now (no change on my scanner)
- today the manual scan received a java security error (I'm running the latest copy of java) and I had to manually allow the BofI plug in
- took an hour to make a deposit which should have finished in 55 minutes
- I wrote a letter to the bank with some of these issues in August. Got a call from customer service but no resolution
- wrote a letter adding new issues 15 days ago
So far they have duplicated a deposit, not allowed pop money, and not delivered my check to a payee but offered to charge $35 to stop payment and send it again. My suggestion is to find a different online bank. Now they have rejected mobile deposits because they do not understand the word beneficiary. A supervisor finally overruled after multiple notes and phone calls and allowed the deposits, but they forgot to do one. They are the worst banking customer service group I have ever worked with. Also, if you do a mobile deposit, make sure you check that it goes in because they rejected mine with no email notification whatsoever. They claimed the system was broken but only after I asked. They also appear to target you with problems if you give an honest review of their performance.
I was interested in their higher % rates for their checking account. I made a small deposit to try Bank of Internet USA out. I got my card and my pin as expected, and changed my pin to what I wanted it to be. I went to an ATM to activate my card per their instructions but my card would not work. This was at 7:30 am PST. I tried to call their help line but got a message to call back later. I waited until 8:30 am and the lady was nice enough to activate my card for me over the phone. I used the card a few times at fast food places just fine until I went to the grocery store. Again, my pin would not work. I tried to contact their customer service at 6:00 pm PST and I got the call back later message.
I work 8-5 Monday through Friday, so I need access to customer service that is a little wider than my own working hours. By the time I get to the store and have a problem it is too late and I have no access to my cash.
As a bank that is supposed to be more advanced in the internet and technology fields, their technology and customer service is a fail.
I have closed my account and was supposed to get a check that contained my remaining balance in the mail yesterday. No check. I cannot score them on their rates and fees, because I could not get their accounts to work.