MBT Talks: What’s the Weirdest Thing You’ve Done For Money?

MyBankTracker

By , Staff Writer
Posted on Tue Feb 12, 2013, Last Updated on Thu Jun 19, 2014

More Columns »

Steven Depolo / Flickr source

Following last week’s discussion of spending money, the topic of conversation for this week’s segment of MBT Talks is the weirdest thing our team has done for money. Amy moderated the conversation because she’s too uncool to be a hustler for money. She just kept a regular job.

Laura: When I was in high school, I worked part time at a movie theater. There was this one Saturday before the movie theater opened when a couple of us were chosen to film an instructional video for Dolby Digital, who was installing 3D screens at the theaters.

I acted in this infomercial, where they filmed me selling somebody a movie ticket, which I’d actually never done before because I never worked at the box office. At the end, they paid each of us $100 Best Buy gift cards for two hours of work. I spent that money on Wii controllers. That stuff is expensive and you need multiple ones to play with friends!

Simon: In college, I sold a hack kit for video games that sidestepped some game requirements.

Amy: That is pretty nerdy and also pretty badass. Did you earn decent money from doing it?

Simon: It wasn’t a lot of money, but it was an interesting experience.

Amy: Simon, stop being so spare with details! I know you have more stories, so share them.

Simon: I used to be really into collecting sneakers. I still am, but to a lesser degree. In the sneakerhead game, the night before the launch of a pair of major sneakers, you would camp out for the shoes. A lot of high school kids would camp out right after school ended.

Amy: Do they line up for someone else and earn money from doing that, or do they actually get the sneakers to sell themselves?

Simon: Both. Sometimes they’ll keep a pair and sell a pair. I pretty much did the same thing.

Amy: Was this lucrative though? I can’t imagine it being particularly lucrative for the time spent doing it…

Simon: It was occasionally. If the colorways of the shoes were popular, then yes.

Amy: What’s the most profit you’ve turned?

Simon: I’ve turned maybe like $80 once.

Amy: $80?! That’s nothing for camping out for hours!

Simon: Sometimes you want to keep a pair because you don’t want to miss them, so you buy a second pair just because you can.

Laura: Are you always able to sell a second pair?

Simon: Usually, but you could always hold on to them and they’ll sell at a later time.

Amy: The sneakerhead game is a total disease. Laura, do you have any other stories?

Laura: The week I moved to New York City, I participated in this event for the premiere of the NBC show “Revolution,” which is this post-apocalyptic show about the power going out in the world. The PR company posted an opportunity on Facebook, where they gathered cyclists to ride stationary bikes attached to generators to generate power.

I went and rode a bike for three hours and got paid $100 in gift cards. It was definitely worth it, though. Getting paid to work out, who gets to do that?! But it was really hard work, I couldn’t walk for a week after that.

My friend told me I was a real New Yorker after that.

Anthony: When I was in middle school, my friends and I would shovel snow after a storm. We’d shovel from midnight to 6AM and we’d get $150 or something like that.

Amy: That’s a lot of work for that amount of money. Shoveling snow is no joke. Especially during the hours you could be sleeping!

Anthony: In middle school, you don’t care. And we got to stay up all night! That was the best.

Post a Comment