Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card 2023 Review
Travel rewards cards can help you earn miles toward award flights, hotel stays, and other travel expenses. The best travel rewards credit card offers features, benefits--and an annual fee--that's tailored to your needs.
is an upgraded travel rewards offering.
This card offers an elevated number of miles on travel purchases, including hotels, rental cars and flights. You can also earn unlimited double miles on everyday spending.
A generous introductory miles bonus and an annual miles bonus help to boost the card's value. But there is a higher annual fee to contend with.
Wondering if this card is right for you? Continue reading our Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card review to help you decide.
Capital One Venture X Rewards Card Pros & Cons
Main Highlight: Maximize Travel Miles With Capital One Travel
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card offers a tiered rewards program, with miles earned on every purchase. Here's how rewards break down:
- Earn 10 miles per dollar on hotels and car rentals booked through Capital One Travel
- Earn 5 miles per dollar on flights booked through Capital One Travel
- Earn 2 miles per dollar on all other purchases
There's no cap on the number of miles you can earn. But you do have to book through Capital One Travel to earn 10 or 5 miles per dollar on travel purchases.
Capital One offers three additional ways to earn miles:
- Introductory Early Spend Bonus
- Anniversary Bonus
The Early Spend Bonus is a one-time miles bonus eligible cardmembers can earn by meeting a minimum spending requirement. Each year on your card anniversary you can earn 10,000 bonus miles, worth $100 in travel credit.
And you can get up to 100,000 miles for referring friends and family to the Venture X card.
So how can you use those miles?
You can easily redeem Venture X miles for travel expenses, including flights, hotels, and rental cars. Or you could transfer miles to 15+ travel loyalty partners.
Miles are worth one cent each when redeemed for travel. If you don't have any travel plans ahead you could also redeem miles for:
- Past purchases
- Statement credit
- Check or deposit into a bank account
- Gift cards
Redemption values for these options may vary.
Premium Travel Benefits
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card offers more than just miles.
This card also comes with some interesting travel benefits, including:
- $300 annual travel credit
- $200 vacation rental credit for rentals charged to your card within the first year
- Capital One Lounge access
- Priority Pass benefits
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
- Hertz President's Circle status
These benefits help raise the card's value even further.
With the $300 annual travel credit, for example, you're getting $300 back for bookings made through Capital One Travel.
Capital One Lounge visits are free and unlimited for cardmembers and two guests per visit.
This card makes no mention of in-flight purchase credits or free checked bags. But the benefits you do get can still save you a substantial amount of money.
What Else Do You Get With the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card?
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card has a few other noteworthy features, such as:
- Cell phone protection up to $800
- Free price drop protection when booking through Capital One Travel
- Capital One Entertainment benefits
Miles earned with the card don't expire. And there are no blackout dates or restrictions when you're ready to redeem miles.
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card has a $395 annual fee. So you have to consider whether paying that fee is worth it.
The $300 annual travel statement credit you can earn, along with the value of the anniversary miles bonus, could help you to recoup the fee each year.
But it's important to consider how often you travel and how you prefer to book. If you don't mind booking through Capital One Travel, you could accumulate a decent amount of miles on travel.
But if you prefer to book directly with the airline or hotel or through a third-party travel site, this card won't be as valuable to you.
So look at your typical travel spending habits to help decide if the annual fee is justified.
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card vs. Other Rewards Cards
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is one possibility for earning travel miles. But it pays to look at other card options.
Here are three other travel cards you might consider for earning points or miles.
Capital One Venture Rewards
Capital One Venture Rewards Card Pros & Cons
The offers a simpler approach to earning miles.
With this card, you earn unlimited double miles on every purchase. You can also earn five miles per dollar on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel.
This card isn't quite as rewarding as the Venture X card but it doesn't cost as much either. The annual fee is $95 vs $395.
Other card benefits include:
- Introductory miles bonus
- Two free visits to the Capital One Lounge per year
- Miles transfer to 15+ travel partners
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
- Hertz Five Star Status
- Free price drop protection on travel purchases
You might choose this card if you want to earn travel miles with a lower annual fee.
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Sapphire Reserve Card Pros & Cons
The is a popular travel rewards card with similar rewards and premium travel perks.
With this card, you can earn:
- 10 points per $1 on hotels and rental cars purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards after the first $300 is spent on travel annually
- 10 points per $1 on Chase Dining purchases with Ultimate Rewards
- 5 points per $1 on flights purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards after the first $300 is spent on travel annually
- 3 points per $1 on other travel worldwide after the first $300 is spent on travel annually
- 3 points per $1 on other dining purchases
- 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
Points can be redeemed for travel through the Ultimate Rewards program. When you use points for travel this way you get 50% more redemption value.
On top of that, this card offers premium travel benefits such as:
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit
- Airport lounge access
- 1:1 points transfer
- Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection
The annual fee for this card is $550, with a $75 annual fee for each authorized user.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
*See Rates & Fees. Terms apply.
The Platinum Card from American Express Card Pros & Cons
is one of the more expensive travel rewards credit cards on the market, with a $695 annual fee.
But it comes packed with value.
Some of the card's main highlights include:
- $200 annual hotel credit
- $240 annual digital entertainment credit (enrollment required)
- $155 Walmart+ credit
- $200 Uber Cash
- $200 airline fee credit
- $300 credit on Equinox memberships (enrollment required)
- $189 annual fee credit for CLEAR enrollment
- Global dining access by RESY
That's in addition to the points you can earn on purchases.
You can earn five points per dollar on flights booked with airlines or with Amex Travel. You also get five points per dollar on prepaid hotels booked at amextravel.com. All other purchases earn one point per dollar.
Final Verdict: Should You Apply for the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card?
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is suited for earning unlimited travel miles with minimal hassles.
This card could be a good fit for you if you:
- Are comfortable booking hotels, rental cars, and flights through Capital One Travel
- Prefer simplified redemption options, including miles transfer
- Don't mind paying a higher annual fee for travel rewards and benefits
You may want to choose a different card if you'd prefer to earn points or you want to earn rewards with a specific hotel or airline loyalty program.
But overall, this card offers some excellent travel rewards and benefits for the money. Just remember that there's no introductory APR so you'll need to consider what carrying a balance might cost you.
See the rates & fees for the mentioned American Express cards: The Platinum Card from American Express (Rates & Fees; terms apply).